Sunday, 23 November 2014

A Huge Catch Up Under London's Lights

Yesterday I met up with my three best friends from university in London townn.  
It was amazing to all be together again and have a massive natter over pizza, especially as the last time all three of us were altogether was last December! After our lunch, we wandered up Oxford Street, stopping at the Disney Store- an obvious must. They'd converted the whole downstairs into a scene from Frozen, complete with scandi wooden beams, whole crates of Olafs and a life size Sven the reindeer! Disney's Christmas tree decorations and baubles this year are so cute- I especially loved one of Cinderella's glass slipper with Gus and Jaq sitting in it.


We wandered past Selfridges, and though we didn't have time to go in, we admired their endless window displays. I think they're really quirky this year, with lots of woodland creatures, a magical sweetie grotto and this incredible Sleeping Beauty inspired scene with a golden spinning wheel and gifts caught in a frosty spider web. It felt so Christmassy walking up Oxford Street, with all the illuminated windows and giant elevated baubles over the road, and that addictive sweet smell of nuts toasting in the snack stands on the pathways. Naturally, we ended up making our way to Winter Wonderland. We entered through the Marble Arch side, where the big wheel is this year, and there wasn't a queue unlike when we came last year. However I do prefer arriving from the Hyde Park entrance, as you can see a peek of all the German festive market stalls and it looks a lot more magical.





We didn't go on any rides, rather just had a lovely, slow wander and finished up with a hot chocolate at a characterful German bar right next to the ice-rink and acoustic Christmas tunes. Finally it started to get dark and with it came all the twinkly lights.

 I find there's just not enough time when you go up to London for the day and so I'm planning to go again with my family and Matt just before Christmas to make sure I can browse all the adorable handcraft-y stalls properly. I got the train home with my friend Rea, and we got a Starbucks at the station- I tried a Honey and Almond Hot Chocolate and it was delicious; not too sweet but with festive, comforting flavours. I definitely recommend!


This has been just a bit of a chatty post really! I hope you're having fun in the run-up to Christmas. To me it's a time for catching up with special friends and family.

Will any of you be heading to Winter Wonderland at Hyde Park? 
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment