Thursday, 15 January 2015

Recipe: Lemon & Poppy Seed Loaf




You know when you just fancy baking a cake? Like it's the be all and end all of your weekend? I had that feeling on Sunday. I decided to go for a lemon and poppy-seed after I found the recipe in a random little booklet among the masses of cookbooks in our kitchen. I thought it sounded fairly healthy compared to a chocolate, and I loved the idea of something light and zesty. I was never a fan of lemon cake until I recently tried Matt's Mum's, my friend Rea's nan's, and my Auntie Kate's (in chronological order!) These ladies all make wonderful lemon sponges!!

For mine, you will need:

100g butter
125g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tbsp grated lemon rind
1 tbsp poppy seeds
125g self raising flour


For the glaze:

A few heaped tablespoons of caster sugar
Leftover lemon juice


1. Heat up your oven to 190 degrees/gas mark 5. Grease your chosen cake tin with a bit of butter. I used a silicone, sandwich loaf, novelty cake mould from Lakeland. They're really cool, though I didn't end up making the most of the sandwich shape because I sadly burnt the edges and had to cut them off, making a standard square!

2. Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. This is probably my favourite bit of making a cake mix as it looks really smooth and yum.

3. Take your lemon and cut it in half. Grate the rind with the smaller side of a grater onto a plate or chopping board. You need to end up with a full tablespoon of it!

4. Beat your eggs well in a separate bowl with a fork, then add to the main mixture. Put in your spoon of lemon rind and dose of lemon juice, measured onto three tablespoons. I think you could pretty much add as much as you wanted based on how fruity you want your cake though! I ended up using half a lemon's juice for the main mixture.

5. Stir in the poppy seeds and flour until no powdery bits are left. If it's too doughy you can always add a spoonful of milk.

6. Simply pour the mixture into your cake tin and pop in the oven for 45 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on it though as it approaches 35 minutes- it will burn fast!

7. Leave your cake to cool down completely when out of the oven. This takes about twenty minutes.

8. Make the tangy lemon glaze by mixing several heaped tablespoons of caster sugar with a generous squeezing of lemon juice. This is merely a guessing game! Keep adding each ingredient until you get the perfect, runny but not too runny consistency.

9. Pour the glaze over the cake in a zigzag motion. It should dry within a few minutes to become an iced topping.

10. Finally, lick out the bowls, obviously- the glaze tastes sooo delicious, I promise you! Not so great for the teeth though!

Will you be trying this simple but delicious loaf cake? xox

No comments:

Post a Comment