Thursday, 22 November 2012

I Couldn't Live Without... Ankle Boots

Miranda Kerr in Isabel Marant Berry Suede & Leather Boots
I have recently developed a compete fetish for ankle boots. It's not that I didn't like them before; obviously no winter look is ever complete without a pair of go-with-everything boots, but my obsession is going to extremes! Every time I browse online for a christmas present, I end up straying into the 'Shoes' section...   Thrust into the limelight by the eternally covetable label Isabel Marant (practically every celeb owns a pair of her Dicker boots), ankle boots- whether suede, velvet, cuban-heeled or Chelsea- are the chicest footwear of choice for fall. Adopted by numerous fashionistas from Miranda Kerr and Olivia Palermo to Diane Kruger and Kate Bosworth, the versatility of the ankle boot can take you from work to dinner dates to post-uni hangouts. Miranda (above) channels her lust-worthy Marant Berry western-look boots with a wool coat, also by Marant, a cute grey sweater, leather shorts and a Givenchy tote.
    For his last fall collection for YSL, Stefano Pilatoi gave us the look of the 'power woman', complimented by an array of killer patent boots, while Karlie Kloss walked the Kenzo AW12 runway in just one of the many colour variations of Leon and Lim's amazing tweed-look wedge boots.


Kenzo AW12
    There are so many different types of ankle boots to go for, starting with the type of heel. If you want to be wearing your boots everyday then go for a very minimal heel, like the one on Caggie's boots below, or alternatively, try a wedge or cuban heel. A supportive wedge can be as ideal for day as it is for evening. My favourite day-to-day ankle boots have a cuban heel, and I can genuinely say my feet haven't hurt wearing them once. It's great that the heel gives me the extra height while maintaining that essential comfort, as I'm pretty tiny!
    As for the material, leather is the go-to choice for adding a little grunge-glam to an outfit, while suede is a popular choice for creating a laidback yet slightly refined look. Personally I absolutely love velvet boots at the moment. They have an appealing feel of opulence and luxury, and who doesn't want to wear luxury on their feet?! Velvet, for me alludes to the romanticism of the Great Gatsby era- it's indulgent, elegant and feminine. Rebecca Taylor's fall collection was a contemporary take on the splendor of twenties glamour girls, with rich velvet dominating the runway in the form of sweaters, dresses and even pants. A touch of velvet on a pair of boots will enrich and dress up a simple outfit. I think a really cute idea is to wear frilly or ribbon-detailed ankle socks underneath your boots, so that the tops of the socks peep out and add another element of girlish charm to your ensemble.
    Another plush twist on the ankle boot would be to rock one of the must-do trends this season: metallics. I am in love with Rag & Bone's Newbury boots anyway, but when I saw their metallic gold version I swear I nearly had heart palpitations. They are so lovely! At over £300, sadly they are out of price range, but I'm enclosing a picture (animated- ooh!) so you can swoon over them like I do.
 

Rag & Bone's Gold Classic Newbury Ankle Boot


   Keeping warm, dry and stylish while out city-strolling or shopping in this weather is no easy feat, but the classic ankle boot keeps your toes cosy and you looking en vogue. Here Caggie picks a trusty black pair of boots to toughen up her cream lace smock dress. I adore a hat and boots combination too- effortlessly chic.

 
   A statement pair of ankle boots with a taller heel look amazing with a maxi, as seen on Poppy Delevingne- though I wouldn't be brave enough to wear one without tights in this chill! Her Sass and Bide, D-Squared, patent boots again contrast nicely with the more effeminate, floaty skirt. A printed tee, leather jacket, a tan belt and her Tommy Ton utility satchel for Club Monaco tone down the potential glamour of the maxi to understated-cool. By swapping the tee for a shimmery cami this look is also versatile enough for evening.

 
 
   Olivia shows how ankle boots go fabulously with another fall wardrobe essential- the leather pant. Her Jude boots by Report are the perfect way to add height to a snug and casual off-duty look and they are under $100!
   Rachel Bilson branches out from the classic black ankle boot with a lace-up tan pair, teaming them with jeans, a blazer and a cutsie polka dot scarf. Whatever colour your boots, they will work in their same versatile way for summer- remember Rosie Huntington-Whiteley's much-talked about Christopher Kane embellished shorts, white shirt and grey boots combo at this year's Coachella?!
   So, that's my review of the ankle boot. I actually know (because I chose them!) that Santa (aka. Mum and Dad) is bringing me a gorgeous, tan-coloured, lace-up and buckle pair so I am beyond excited!! Here is my pick of the coolest must-have ankle booties around.
 


Topshop Accent Stud Cut Out Boots in Velvet £85


Urban Outfitters Deena & Ozzy Burgundy Metal Strap Boots £120 
Oasis Leila Leather and Suede Chelsea Boot £65
All Saints Bonny Cuban Boot £165
 


Office Nikita Zip Book Black Glitter £65

ASOS Athens Leather Ankle Chelsea Boots £50
 
Pull & Bear Biker Ankle Boots With Studs £79.99

2 comments:

  1. Ankle boots are really one of the most important wardrobe essentials. I love my ankle boots too, they#re comfortable and go with anythiing!
    The velvet ones with the studs by Topshop are really nice; the cut at the ankle is pretty unusual.
    Emily ooo
    www.thestyleexplorer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing boots!

    lots of love from the c&p girls,
    casper&pearl blog
    xx

    ReplyDelete