Tuesday, 3 September 2013

September Style Inspiration: Rose Byrne

 
 
So, I was watching X-Men: First Class for the first time the other night, and I thought, "Wow, I love Rose Byrne." I didn't even know she was in X-Men- that just makes her cooler in my eyes; definitely a stark contrast to her oh-so-ladylike role in Bridesmaids. The petite Aussie actress (she refreshingly defines herself as a 'character actress', never a celebrity) has a wardrobe that screams high-fashion but which is actually heavily punctuated by Topshop and Urban Outfitters goodies.
 
 
 
Rose uses a stylist, but no doubt has the last word on her outfit choices, staying loyal to Australian labels Lover and Sass and Bide, and sticking to her go-to city brands, Calvin Klein, Rag & Bone and quirkily, menswear brand APC. A sense of urban influence is often visible in Rose's daywear, which continually consists of simple and classic jeans, boyish sweaters (preferably in grey, she says) and 40's tea-dresses- worn with a tomboy twist; namely strictly black accessories or tights.
   Her taste is consistent- cool and collected, with a hint of Olivia Palermo-esque styling precision. There's no scruffiness in her version of edginess, that's for sure. Standing out for Rose translates as a risk-taking Elie Saab jumpsuit at the SAG Awards (trousers are usually a no-go on the red carpet, but Rose debuted them with heaps of confidence) or citing American cult film "Scarface" as her long-bob inspiration. Her realistic view on Hollywood too sets her apart from her fellow A-listers: "Here in LA the standard of beauty is ridiculous", she says, "I want to be doing this when I'm in my fifties and sixties and this isn't what I'm going to look like!" Judging by her amazing genes, I think she will still look pretty fabulous even then, but her attitude is long-awaited!!





 
 Rose's actual favourite film is "Thelma and Louise"- feisty. Perhaps this brings back fond memories of her teen-hood; Rose admits her biggest fashion faux pas was her Doc Martens/biker jacket stage. Though the Aussie style queen would still inevitably pull off a Cara Delevingne piece of leather, Rose has conjured a signature style that no glossy magazine nor fashion-hearting femme would want to see change. Her look is accessible- Rose herself refers to it as 'low-key'- and even though she describes Valentino and Marc Jacobs as amazing, it's awesome to know that she hasn't lost touch with the real world, with her partiality to high-street and second-hand finds. In fact, take note of Rose's style mantra; I sure will be- "I've stopped dressing for other people. If I think I look good, that's the most important thing." I love this woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment