Sunday, 9 November 2014

Recipe: Stem Ginger & Chocolate Chip Cookies

Today I am grateful for these cookies.

I've been desperate to make these since I spotted them in one of the country homes magazines. I'm not even a huge fan of ginger but I thought these looked Christmassy, and the ginger isn't too overpowering at all; its really scrummy with the chocolate. I will happily bake these over and over again as they're so delicious, especially when eaten warm!

You will need:

125g butter, softened, and a bit for greasing
55g caster sugar
85g light muscovado sugar
1 medium egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
125g plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons of ground ginger
1/4 of a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
3 balls of stem ginger, diced
100g plain chocolate chips



1. Heat up your oven to 190 degrees/Gas Mark 4. Line three baking trays with baking parchment and grease them lightly with butter.


2. Cream the butter & sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat the egg and vanilla together in a separate bowl, then add to the mix. 
 
3. Sift the flour, ground ginger and bicarbonate of soda into the mixture and fold in with a large metal spoon. The recipe says to use an electric whisk, but I couldn't find ours and my mixture came out perfectly smooth mixing by hand.
 
 
4. On a small chopping board, take three balls of stem ginger (mine came from a jar of syrup which I wasn't sure was right but it turned out they created just that right amount of moisture inside the cookies). Dice the ginger into small chunks.
 
 
5. Add the ginger pieces and all the chocolate chips into the mixture and fold in to spread evenly. It should now resemble a mouth-wateringly beautiful, cookie dough pillow that smells divine.
 
 
6. Using a smaller metal spoon, place dollops of the mix onto the baking sheet covered trays. These shouldn't be too big and they need to be spread out or they'll run into each other! Pop each tray into the oven in turn (top shelf) and bake for just ten minutes. They should come out nicely browned!

 
7. Cool for a few minutes to prevent a burnt tongue, then eat warm and gooey with a cup of tea!
 
 
 
On a slight tangent (but it is related in terms of ginger-flavoured goodies), did anyone own or does anyone remember this adorable 'well-loved tale' "The Gingerbread Boy" by Ladybird Books? I was so happy to find this on top of our dresser earlier- cue nostalgia!! This is the cutest book ever, especially for kiddies so if you don't have a copy, keep an eye out for one in a charity shop!
 
Will you be trying out this recipe in time for Christmas?
 

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh I have to try these they sound so yummy! My mum orders ginger so I would love these. Ahhaha I remember that book brings back memories haha.

    Gorgeous blog sweetie! Love the vintage twist :)following you
    Collette xxx

    shrewd-fox.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe! All of my family is getting together soon, and usually I bake a special treat for everyone. I'll have to try these. Thanks! :)
    ~Moll

    www.mollymac13.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so festive! I'm going to try them over Christmas. Also, we have the same tablecloth! :)

    ReplyDelete